Thursday, June 23, 2011

Restful Thursday

Today I woke up with a headache. Good thing I was so productive yesterday! Yesterday afternoon I made rhubarb jelly since we were getting low in the jelly department. (Okay, I have four jars left but that is too low  for my taste!).


It was the first time I ever made rhubarb jelly and it is such a pretty color! I used liquid pectin since I had some left from earlier this spring when I made violet and dandelion jellies.

The recipe is a small one which is perfect since I only have one rhubarb plant in the backyard! I must get some more rhubarb plants! That is a must have! I need to find some more rhubarb so I can make strawberry rhubarb jam!!! Yikes! I better get looking!!!

Here is the recipe for rhubarb jelly that I used:
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 cups water
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch pectin
1/2 tsp butter (optional)

1) Combine rhubarb and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Process through a jelly strainer. Measure juice. Add water if necessary to yield 1 3/4 cups juice

2) Prepare jars and lids. Combine rhubarb juice and sugar and mix well. Over high heat bring to a hard boil. Add pectin and boil hard for one more minute, stirring constantly. Skim off foam. Pour into jars with 1/4" head space. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 3 half pint jars. (It made me almost 2 pints though).

Today I am just taking it easy with this migraine of mine. I am hoping it will go away after I do some exercises. It is hard being pregnant and having headaches although I only get migraines when I'm pregnant. It is a very rare occasion to get one when I'm not pregnant. Anyhow tomorrow I am getting a new look with my hair. I'm not sure if I am going to just get a trim or make the plunge and get bangs. Not sure yet. I will have to continue pondering this!

Time to get back to the kiddo's!
~KT

No comments:

Post a Comment