Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On^the^line

So is being "online" being "on the line"? 

I can't help but wonder how good it is to write out poetry, books and even personal thoughts online anymore. Is it safe? What about creepers? 


While you can't live your life on "what if's" and paranoia, I can't help but wonder if it truly is profitable. I love reading other people's blogs and seeing what wisdom I can glean from them. Especially in the winter months when it's harder to get out and about with the kids in tow. In the summer I get out enough where I do more posting than reading. 

I do know we live in a very unfriendly world and ideas are often stolen in order to profit the thief. I still remember being bored in Pizza Hut many, many years ago and wrote a song on the back of a receipt. It needed another verse or two but I had the chorus exactly how I wanted it. I will not forget the shock of hearing my chorus on the radio a year or two later. I accidentally left the receipt at Pizza Hut. Now, whether or not it was stolen by someone who knew how to use it or if it was a similar idea but to music I find it hard to believe the chorus was the same. Plus I never liked the band who ended up singing it. 

Major bummer. I love writing poetry/songs and short stories. It's like painting but with words. I just don't know how much I should really share online to prevent that from happening. I prefer to write at home in my notebook. I haven't had time to write a short story since getting married as when I do get time I have been working on some books I've had ideas for. 

What really concerns me is posting photos online. From my iphone I can't put a tag mark on it before posting so I try to keep it as least personal as possible like of a non-artistic and very plan picture of food just to show what I made. But what disturbs me is I had posted a picture online later to find the very picture as someone's profile picture. Now, don't get me wrong I don't mind that because of who did that but what disturbs me is that ANYONE could do that to a picture I post. Yikes.

Double Yikes thinking someone could steal that online and possibly make money off me. Nope, sorry buckaroo but I'm going to have to be more careful in what I post so I can profit from my own work.

So is being online being on the line? 

Just some food for thought.
~KT~

No comments:

Post a Comment