Monday, November 21, 2011

Leftover Ham Casserole- The Best!!!

So I made a super delicious ham and had plenty of leftovers. I decided to find some new recipes to use up leftover ham. While the most common uses tend to be ham and pea soup, ham and bean soup, scalloped potatoes and ham, eggs and ham I wanted to learn more about how to use leftover ham in casseroles. 

I have been really interested in using casseroles since they are typically a one-dish easy to make meal for the entire family! Plus with it being winterish now casseroles are an easy comfort food.

I found two recipes and combined them into my own and it turned out AMAZING!!!

~Leftover Ham Casserole~
2 cups ham
1/3 bag of egg noodles
1 can mixed vegetables
2 cups milk
2 Tbl flour
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
1 tsp mustard (NOT dried mustard, but the kind you put on your hotdogs, haha)
1 cup shredded cheese
toasted slivered almonds OR corn flakes for topping

Cook noodles until al dente, drain and rinse with cool water. In a small casserole dish mix noodles, ham, vegetables together. Slowly heat up the milk, flour, salt, pepper and mustard together and bring to a boil until thickened. Stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Pour over noodle ham mixture and sprinkle your topping of choice on then I put on some aluminum foil over the top and heat thoroughly at 350F. Took mine about 20 minutes.

I used a can of mixed vegetables because that is what I had on hand. You could really use any vegetable you have on hand. If it's canned great, otherwise you could pre cook the vegetables (depending on what kind you choose to use) and add to the noodle ham mixture otherwise maybe it would work just fine if you threw them in raw to make them more crunchy? 

That is what I am loving about casseroles, the recipes are so flexible you can really personalize them!

Happy Cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment