Friday, January 21, 2011

Steps...

I had a lot to do today and while I was doing all those things I got to thinking about several different things.

The first one goes along with my last post. Why do I feel pressure to look a certain way when I leave my house? Why can't I just relax and be myself? Why do I have to put make up on, fix my hair, wear cute shoes that my toes freeze in during the winter?

Answer: I don't know.

Solution: Stop!

What brought this whole thought process on: Trying on boots at the TSC in town.

There were some really nice heavy duty insulated pac boots on clearance for half off. They would be absolutely perfect to wear doing outside chores around the house and when I go with my husband do to errands or snowplowing I wouldn't have to freeze my toes off in lightweight hikers or my moc's...
Then I talked to my husband about it while he caught me trying boots on. I told him "I would love a pair of these, they would keep my foot sooo warm but I would be embarrassed to go into public with them like the mall or something, I don't know". Well later that day a good friend of mine had a pair on, she loves them and told me "I don't care if they look bad, they keep  my feet warm and that is all that matters!". WOW. I am such a hypocrite. My husband was the first to tell me so when I told him my friend already had a pair of the boots I was trying to sneakily try on at the store.

I realized then and there that I need to stop trying to be someone I'm not. Just like trying to "prove" myself in high school I need to be who I am, not what I think others think I should be!

Next paycheck I am going to go see if I can get myself a pair of ultra warm boots so I can be comfortable doing what I love to do: being outdoors in ALL the seasons comfortably!

I never was super fashionable, just comfy and classic. I can rise to the occasion and dress up to blend in with the rest, but everyday I just want to be me!

Now for the other thinking matter that goes with the title of this post: Steps...

When you walk to go somewhere you take steps. Running or walking you take steps. Cleaning the house, chasing kids around the house picking up after them, steps. Getting OR going into debt, steps. Getting married, steps. Learning to sew, steps. Eating even involves different steps!

Now the question isn't are we stepping down the right path per se; but are we stepping in the right direction?

Everything we do, every day adds up to a basic direction we are heading. We can go different paths in life for example: The choice to go to college or not to go to college. The choice to get married or not to get married. The choice to get a degree in Microbiology or just regular Biology.

Those are not the steps I am talking about. I am talking about stepping in the right direction. Are we making a difference? It doesn't matter what path you choose to step down, but if you go to college are you also working on making a difference in the world? If you don't go to college are you making a difference in the world?

Change is inevitable. What direction you step is evitable. Do you want to change for the better, not only for yourself but for others as well?

What we do today can impact further generations. Not just our kids, but theirs and beyond.

Think about what direction you are stepping in. Change can happen fast or slow but we are constantly stepping forward. Try to step in the "right" direction to making a positive influence for yourself and others.

Everyone will reap the benefits. Most of all - You!

No comments:

Post a Comment