Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tote Bag

I finally made my very first tote bag.... And it turned out fabulous!!! I can't believe I can sew things that are useful! And so quick, it only took me about an hour and a half! I love it. I am debated on what project to do next in the book I am using to learn to sew properly.

I have noticed I have acquired some bad habits in the process of "teaching myself" and it is taking some patience to try to recondition myself to sew properly but it is so worth it! Instead of struggling to make something work, it just comes together when you do it properly! I would highly recommend going back to the basics and see if there is a better or even a proper way of sewing. I suppose that could cross over to any thing in life too!

This morning I realized some movies I checked out of the library are due tomorrow so I figured I better watch one this morning. I am watching "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire so far its really fun! I can't believe it but my kids like it too! My sister totally got me hooked on the old classics like that! I really miss her now that she is down in college, but somehow watching these old movies makes me feel like she's not to far away :)

I also got to thinking yesterday after I finished my new tote bag. Why didn't I make an effort to learn to sew properly sooner? Why have I waited until my mid 20's? Then it came to me. All through my high school years I felt like I was in a competition to "prove" myself to others around me, specifically men that I can work just as hard, maybe not lift,push,pull the same amount of weight but work just as hard nonetheless. I never enjoyed being a girl, or being a young woman. It took getting married and having kids for me to realize I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I can enjoy doing things without being in competition. My hard work will prove itself! I absolutely love being a woman and love being a wife and mommy!


I can still do my outdoorsy things, milk cows (haha if I ever get any!), do farming type things, but also enjoy painting my nails, sewing my own clothes (very soon if I keep it up!), doing my hair, all without feeling like I have to prove myself to anyone. I love it! I can enjoy doing so many things and if someone wants to put me down because I am a woman and I can't do something as well as a man. Well let them be sexist. I will enjoy being me and doing the things that make me happy! :)

I wish I could have realized that many, many years ago. But at least I can enjoy and revel in things now, so hopefully I can be a good example for my daughter. It doesn't matter what you do, if you enjoy it who cares what other people think! You don't have to compete to do something you love to do!

Well that is my "tote bag epiphany" for this morning. Now I have to go get my "housework exercise routine" and get my dishes done and fold the laundry I did last night. Since I now view my housework as exercise (which it is!) instead of a chore (it technically is, but a necessary one) I don't mind it. Its like a warmup for an actual workout routine. Its all in how you look at it!

More projects to come!
~KT

No comments:

Post a Comment