Monday, February 27, 2012

Deliciously Simple Savings



Today I made homemade granola! I am so glad I held off buying some store bought granola and decided to try out a recipe I had for a while now but never had time to make it... Until now. 

Home made granola is so easy its embarrassing I would have ever considered buying $7 a "tiny" bag of granola from the store. Wow. I just made a double batch to last us a week or two and without doing the math it probably cost me less the $2 or $3!!! 

Here is the recipe I used:

Granola
3 cups rolled oats (GF of course!)
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup dried fruit of your choosing

~ Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 F. Mix oats and almonds in bowl, set aside. In a small saucepan heat honey, oil and salt and heat until warmed. Pour warmed honey mixture over oats and stir using a wet or oiled spatula until oat/nut mixture is coated. Spread over the parchment lined baking sheet and bake approximately for 15 minutes, stirring once, until light golden brown. Place back into bowl and mix in dried fruit (I used half raisins, 1/4 dried cranberries and 1/4 chopped apricots) Place back into oven for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool on pain stirring occasionally. Store in airtight container.~

Not only does this take only a few minutes to whip up and make but also is delicious in a non-store bought way. The way only home baked goodies can taste. So I will ponder on how to invest my saved money while enjoying my homemade granola. Thoroughly enjoying my deliciously simple savings.

~KT~

No comments:

Post a Comment