Monday, December 15, 2014

Comfort Soup



I decided to make some soup but didn't have a recipe for the taste I was hungry for.

What to do, what to do?!

Make my own recipe, of course!

Here is the criteria list I was dealing with:
Didn't want a tomato base
Had to use ground elk meat
Didn't want a creamy base because I was using red meat
Wanted to use up some veggies I had in the freezer and storage
Wanted it to blend but also be able to pick out the meat from the veggies
Wanted a thicker, almost stew like soup
Fresh out of rice but I did have some gluten free rice noodles.
Wanted a down home, cabin style taste.


So, I took my little list and got to work!

I took 2 quarts of vegetable stock, put that in my pot. Then I added a drained, rinsed can of both black beans and kidney beans. While that was heating up, I fried up my 2 pounds of ground elk with one garlic clove, salt, pepper and half of a huge, organic onion. Then I added that all to the pot. I chopped up 4 small, organic carrots, a half pound of frenched green beans and put those both into my pot.

I added dried parlsey, oregano, Himalayan pink salt, freshly ground black pepper, celery flakes (lucky me, I had some dried as I was out of fresh!), and dried dill weed. I don't ever measure my spices as I go by taste. I threw in half my bag of gluten free rice noodles one everything was at a boil, put the lid on and simmered about 45 minutes or however long it took for the carrots to tender. I stirred as often as I thought about it to prevent scorching on the bottom of my pot as it has a hot spot. It was EXACTLY what I was hoping for in a soup and we had enough for leftovers the next day. It was fabulous then as well!

My tip is to never be afraid to make your own recipe! If it is a fail then consider this:
F- First
A- Attempt
I- In
L-Learning

Make note of what didn't work in it and go from there!

Happy Cooking!
~KT~

1 comment:

  1. I love soup and your approach to making your own recipes...even though I have a shelf sagging from the weight of too many cookbooks, I have started making my own recipes...I love to F.A.I.L. LOL

    http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete