Monday, October 17, 2011

Oh Blustery Day

This weekend has been pretty windy and most of the leaves are down, except of course from the oak trees! Still, there is so much beauty in this transition of seasons. The corn field across the street is just gorgeous blowing in the wind, the few remaining leaves on the maple trees in the front yard are a pretty reddish yellow color and I can sit and enjoy the sunshine gleaming down on the different colors! So, the leaves are past peal? No matter, there are plenty other colors of nature I am soaking in before our world is in a blanket of white!

Yesterday I made that Pumpkin Spice Cake but next time I make it I am going to add more spices and also add a teaspoon or two (or three) of pumpkin pie spice in addition to the other spices already in the recipe. The cake was wonderfully moist but not spicy enough for my taste :) Also it could have used some chopped dates or raisins and garnished with some toasted walnuts would have made it even more divine! 

Today I am going to make some homemade bread, but I am cheating and going to use the breadmaker. Sure, it isn't the same as hand made bread but since the baby dropped I'm really not up to standing around kneading bread with all the pressure on my lower back. Plus I have dinner to think about making and other daily household chores that need to be done.

Contractions have slowed down since yesterday but when I do get them they involve my lower back as well. Not painful, but not comfortable either! Yesterday I had to have my husband rub my lower back to help release the tension there after a really strong contraction that left my back in a spasm. Oh what wonderful release a little massage gives! 

I am hoping some of the things I have posted to sell will sell this week. It would be most helpful. I also need to find someone to take our chickens. Once we sell our laying hens we will be down to the animals we want to keep through the winter. Well, almost! I still need to find a home for my pet bunny. Although it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to keep him because if we have to feed the ducks we just keep him in the chicken coop with the ducks anyways. But it would be nice to find him a home.

A rat moved in under the chicken coop this week. Yesterday I even found some rat droppings inside the feed shed. Good thing we keep everything in containers but the rat obviously found something to eat in there. I need to find a way to get rid of that disease carrying rodent. I don't want it reproducing and us having a problem with rats. We haven't had a problem with mice since our cat keeps that population down but I have a feeling from the size of the droppings this rat must be about the same size as our cat, which is actually a pretty smallish sized cat. Hope to find a safe way to rid ourselves of this rat without harming the cat OR the free range chickens and ducks. It's not cold enough to keep them in the chicken coop yet so we let the birds free range until then. 

I recently found an imported bag I absolutely loved at the store. They were selling them for $40 each. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a bag and it was the perfect size to carry everything I need for three kids and of course my normal "purse" necessities for myself. The fact that it was imported makes me wonder if it was really handmade or just "imported" from an overseas factory. I will have to check etsy for something similar I guess. I could always make my own if I could sneak a picture of it. I will have to check online. If I find something similar that will be my next project to make! 

Of course I did want to crochet some matching hats for me and my daughter and the new baby (which is supposed to be a girl according to the ultrasound tech, but only God knows for sure!)

Well off to get the daily chores done so if the baby does decide to come later today at least the house will be caught up!

~KT~

No comments:

Post a Comment