Monday, July 25, 2011

Catching Up

I looked high and low for a recipe for Fresh Tomato and Basil Bread. I couldn't find one so I made one up. I would do a few changes to it but here is the recipe and some pictures of the process follow.
Fresh Tomato Basil Bread
1 cup warm water
2 tsp (or 1 pkg) yeast
1/4 cup chopped basil
3-4 cups flour (again I used whole wheat)
1 Tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup powdered milk
1 cup chopped roma tomatoes (2)
1 cup grated cheese
Add water and yeast, then mix together all other ingredients. Add yeast and water. Let rise until doubled
Divide dough into two and shape into loaves. Cut an "x" in top and add some more cheese/tomatoes if desired. Let rise another hour. Cook for 30-40 minutes at 350F or until done.







Now I did mention that I used whole wheat flour. I wish I would have added some cornmeal or at least had some white flour to add half and half. Otherwise I think I wouldn't change a thing!


~Today is my daughter's 2nd birthday! I made her a sheep cake because she loves Shaun the Sheep. I let them watch one tv show a day and she asks for Shaun Sheep. 


~While I was getting ready to have people over for cake tonight I stopped by the garden for the first time since Saturday. I got to pick my very first squash of the season, a Coosa squash! I also picked a bunch of peas for the kids to snack on while I finish picking up the house. I ate a handful of bush beans and I noticed a few pole beans were ready so I tried them too. The bush beans were just so sweet and wonderful but the pole beans were bitter. I think I made a good choice for the types of beans to freeze and can!!! Tomorrow I can't pick and freeze the beans but I will have to for sure process them on Wednesday. The peas need to be picked and processed too but I think I will do that tomorrow when I get home from town. The pole beans will be ready next week so I have to get cookin' here! Plus I'm trying to get my crafting projects done for the fair in a month. Yes, the fair is in exactly a month! Yikes!!! 

Enjoying summer in the country,
KT

No comments:

Post a Comment