Friday, September 9, 2011

A Tale of Two Pies


This is the second apple pie I made this year. I got the recipe from Betty Crocker but still, not a favorite recipe. I've also been experimenting with pie crusts to find one that we like the taste, texture and I like how to rolls out and the ease of use. I used a recipe last month and I loved it but I can't remember which one it was on my list! So I've started at the top and have been using a different recipe each time. Last night the crust was too bitter and crumbly instead of nice and flaky. My husband also told me that although the pie was good (he is such a fantastic husband!) he preferred the pie I made two nights ago because he LOVED the topping and how sweet it was. 
I know what happened with the sweetness, I used a different kind of apple last night and while they weren't the type of apples I would normally use for pies they were free, so who is to argue with that?! Plus since I've never cooked with these apples before I didn't know if they soaked the sugar up or made a nice sauce with it. If I cook with those apples again I would add 3/4 brown sugar and 1/4 the amount of white sugar. 

The pie I made two nights ago with the recipe from The Pioneer Woman I will be writing down since my husband liked the flavor and taste BUT I need to find that recipe I had for that amazing pie crust! I do have an amazing pie crust but I reserve that for my pumpkin pies! It's got cream cheese in the crust! YUM!!! 

So we had a great night of tail-gating food and apple pie! 

Yesterday I bit off more than I could chew regarding organizing! I wasn't able to finish it was so awful the mess I had created! The dresser my clothes were in, is now in the living room empty. The dresser my husband's clothes were in is now in the kids room being used for my sons and the new baby's clothes. The dresser my daugher's clothes were in now has my clothes in it, the dresser in the back room is now in my room with my husband's clothes and of course the dresser my son's clothes were in now has my daughter's clothes in it. We are going to sell/give away the dresser my clothes were in and buy another chest of drawers (I need two) so then we can sell/give away the dresser that I'm splitting between my son and the new baby. 

Plus I moved other furniture around and my back is still tender from all that. I was so sassy but I knew if I didn't do it this week I'd be in trouble if I did it later so the sooner the better. Now I just have to finish organizing and purging our clothes then I can work on organizing the living room and finish in the kitchen :) 

As far as it looks right now it appears I'm right on target to get everything done this month. God willing I can get everything done before my wedding anniversary! It will be three years October 4!!! I love my husband more now than I did when we got married. I really enjoy who he is and that he accepts me for who I am! If we can't afford to make it back to Mackinaw City for our anniversary this year then I hope we can at least make it to starbucks to get a pumpkin spice latte :) I couldn't have married a better man for me!

Well back off to organizing and purging I go!
~KT~

No comments:

Post a Comment