Monday, September 26, 2011

Hot German Potato Salad and Other Good Things



 Today is another perfect rainy fall day! I don't mind the rain when I can stay inside and stay warm and dry! It's not really cold just rainy! The rain really makes the red sumac leaves pop, as well as all the other colors magnify. Can't wait to see the rest of the week. It will be 70 and sunny one day this week I bet after all this rain it will be just gorgeous out!!!

Today, in honor of the weather I decided to make some fall comfort foods. Hot German potato salad, pot roast and for desert I haven't decided yet. Still thinking about what to make! Not sure if I want to do an apple rhubarb crisp or something with frosting on it. I have a few more hours to ponder this before it gets too late and we don't get any desert! 

This is the first time I am trying to make hot potato salad so I hope the recipe turns out! Here is what I used:
~Hot German Potato Salad~
About 5 potatoes sliced and quartered per batch (I did two batches)
1 large onion
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vinegar
2 Tbl flour
2 Tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp pepper
4 slices or more bacon crumbled
*place potatoes and chopped onion into slow cooker. Mix all other ingredients and pour over potatoes, put on low until done (5-10 hours depending on thickness of potatoes)*

Like I said before I hope this recipe turns out! For my pot roast it's going to be whatever mood I'm in when I throw it into the oven in about 3 hours from now. I'm probably going to use onion soup, carrots, a beet or two (no potatoes because I have the potato salad), an onion, cabbage and whatever spices I deem necessary to the desired taste. 

I am slowly getting over the virus I came down with on Saturday. I have been taking extra vitamin C, a teaspoon of honey throughout the day to help soothe the throat as well as the healing properties in the honey, and of course hot tea!  I love my tea! In fact I am going to go sit down with a book and enjoy my freshly brewed tea!

Taking in the smells of autumn (including my spiced pumpkin candle)!
~KT

No comments:

Post a Comment